Professor (Dr) V.B.Narayana Murthy, a highly qualified surgeon, has a passion for two areas of medicine – plastic and reconstructive surgery, and the treatment modalities of Diabetic Foot. Currently the Head of the Institute of Plastic Surgery and Cosmetic Surgery at Global Hospital and Health City, Chennai, and Managing Director of NRA Advanced Wound Care Pvt Ltd, Dr.VBN is a much-fêted member of the medical community, holding many prestigious teaching positions including the Adjuct/Visiting Professorship at IIT Madras. He has been deeply involved in research and innovation, as well as in voluntary work in his areas of interest.
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
• 1977: Entry into MBBS at Stanley Medical College, Madras
• 1983: Completion of MBBS
o Dr. VBN Murthy completes the medical course with flying colours, having secured a university rank in his 3rd Year and a Gold Medalist in the final year.
• 1990: FRCS completed
o Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow) bestowed upon Dr. VBN Murthy
• 1993: Certification in Plastic Surgery
o Dr.VBN Murthy obtained the British Association of Plastic Surgeons (BAPS) and Royal college of Surgeons of England’s Certification in Plastic Surgery
ORIGINAL RESEARCH, INNOVATION and GUIDED RESEARCH
• Work done on Diabetic Foot recognized by IIT Madras by the conferring on Dr. V.B Narayana Murthy of the prestigious Visiting / Adjunct Professorship by the Department of Applied Mechanics and Biomedical Engineering division of the Indian Institute of Technology, Madras
• Original research on the validation of indigenous medicine for Asthma. The study involved documenting the bronchodilatory effects of Adathoda Vasaka on the smooth muscle of the rabbits.
• Involved in the development and spread of the use of HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) in the standard care of Diabetic Foot, and for various difficult and recalcitrant conditions. This is a new treatment modality in India, though it is known in other parts of the world.
• Research and studies on the use of NIRS (Near Infra-Red Spectroscopy) for microcirculation and perfusion in diabetic feet and the evaluation of ulcers.
• The use of lasers for the evaluation of microcirculation in pre-diabetic and diabetic patients.
• Research at IIT Madras on the early recognition of at-risk feet in diabetics
• Guided Research: A 2-year prospective study among diabetic subjects in a large automobile ancillary manufacturing unit on the role of Pressure Measurement and Footwear among two randomly assigned groups of diabetic patients. This thesis was judged the best ever by the Examiners of Colombo university.
• Guided Research: Numerous Masters’ degrees have been awarded for the work of my students who conducted research on various clinical and theoretical aspects of the treatment of Diabetic Foot and reconstructive surgery
PRESENTATIONS, LECTURES, PAPERS, INVITED POSITIONS, and PUBLICATIONS: A SAMPLING
• 1993: Presentation of an audit on the rate of amputation in reconstructed feet using microsurgery at the Annual British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons Meet in Oxford UK
• 2004: Presentation of ‘Pressure Measurement in Diabetic Foot: Indegenous and Original Research’ at the 3rd National Diabetic Foot Society Conference at Jaipur, India
• 2004: Invited Faculty for the National Distance Education Programme in
• Diabetes by Annamalai University attended by over 400 delegates from all over the country.
• 2005: Presentation on ‘Plastic Surgical Reconstruction in Diabetic Foot’ at the 4th National Diabetic Foot Society of India Meet, Cochin, India. Also conducted a workshop on wound healing at the same forum.
• 2005 - Paper Presentation on ‘Diabetic Foot Infections’ at the All India Orthopedic Surgeons Conference held at Chennai, which was attended by over 5000 delegates
• 2006: Presentation on ‘Surveillance, Prevention and Reconstruction of Diabetic Foot Ulcers’ at the National Meeting of the Society of Endocrine Surgeons of India, Kanyakumari, India
• 2006: Presentation on ‘Mechanical Offloading in Diabetic Foot’ at the 7th Wound-Healing, Science and Industry Meet at St Thomas Islands US. I was invited for this meet by Peter Sheehan, Past President, the American Diabetes Association
• 2007: Talk titled ‘Managing Diabetic Foot’ at the Association of Surgeons of India, Nagerkoil Chapter.
• 2008: Invited to deliver lecture at The James Cook University Hospital in Middlesborough, and the Nottingham Diabetic Wound Care Center, UK
• 2008: Invited Faculty for the 7th National Diabetic Foot Society of India Meeting, held at Kolkata, India.
• 2008: Invited faculty at the North of England Medical Education Meeting to talk on Diabetic Foot
• Complete course of Hepatitis B Vaccinations provided free of cost to around 450 children in the poor school adopted by Sundaram Medical Foundation, on behalf of Lions Club.
• I provide medical and surgical services to medical camps conducted by Chinmaya mission, Ayyappan Seva Samaj and many other voluntary organizations.
• PCT Application Co-inventor of PedoPowergraph jointly with IIT Madras and Sundaram Medical Foundation Chennai.
• Patent for healing footwear in Diabetic foot
• Patent for prevention of ulcers in Diabetic foot
• Patent for design of the Footwear
• Co-inventor of the rubber compound for diabetic footwear
• Patent for Isobaric Isometric Aesthesiometer with IIT Madras
• Vice-President (2014) and Life Member, Diabetic Foot Society of India, Chennai. During my tenure as Executive Member, I conducted and was the Organizing Chairman for the 6th International and National Diabetic Foot Society of India Meeting (year). We had many stalwarts in attendance, such as Chris Attinger from Washington DC, Mike Edmomds from Kings Collage Hospital, London and David Armstrong from the US. Over 450 national and international delegates who attended the Meeting appreciated the course content, speakers and programs.
• Executive Member of the Indian Society for the Surgery of the Hand, NOIDA
• Life Member, Association of Surgeons of India, Chennai
• Life Associate Member, Association of Plastic Surgeons of India, New Delhi
• Life Member, Indian Medical Association, New Delhi
• Life Member, Madras Chapter of Oto-rhinolaryngologists
• Life Member Chennai Chapter of Plastic surgeons
• Achievement Award by the Indian Science Monitor for contribution to Diabetic Foot research (2009)
• Citation and Achievement award by the Association of Surgeons of India, Nagerkoil Branch, for research and original work and contribution to clinical practice in the area of Diabetic Foot (year)
• Tamil Nadu State prize for Tuberculosis Research (1982)
• Memorial Prize for Medicine (1982)
• Prize for Leprosy Research: First prize (1982)
• AKN Menon Gold medal for Radiology (1981)
• Surgical Clinical Exam Prize, 2nd Place (1981)
• Old Students’ Prize for Proficiency in Microbiology (1980)
• Old Students’ Prize for Proficiency in Pathology (1980)
My endeavor is to place my original ideas at the service of my patients. It is my dream to use scientific methods and in-depth knowledge to develop simple solutions that will have a significant impact on the medical problems facing India today.